"It's the Dyspraxia"

 Dyspraxia, formally known as development co-ordinational disorder, affects movement and obviously co-ordination. For a condition that is not well known about, dyspraxia affects 10% of the British population - and 2% severely. It also overlaps with other conditions such as ADHD and autism.

Due to a premature birth, I have dyspraxia. I found things difficult when I was younger such as doing ties and the jean button. When I got older I found it trickier to apply make-up and drive. Although I live in my walking boots (they are my main shoes that were bought for the Hospice walk) I find it a struggle to do shoe-laces and my boots are poorly tied. My handwriting is less to be desired and I used a computer for all my exams since GCSE as well as having extra time as my hand hurts after half an hour. Thankfully, however, dyspraxia does not affect intelligence; it only affects movement co-ordination. I dance with two left feet and one of my teachers used to say I hold a pen like you would hold a shovel (which there is some truth in it). 

Dyspraxia is not a very well known condition, with its cousin dyslexia (which affects reading ability) being more notable. However, some well-known faces have publicly stated they have dyspraxia, such as Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe. However, I think the world is kinder to dyspraxics now than it was twenty or thirty years ago where all exams had to be done with a pen no matter how much your hand hurts. 

I hope I've raised more awareness about this condition! 

Comments