Why I'm (finally) proud to be a Hufflepuff

 "Accept it", said Joanna, my Ravenclaw friend. "You're a puff!"

I must have done the Sorting Quiz at least twenty times; however, with each time it came up as 'Hufflepuff'. Most people envisage their dream houses on the coast or abroad; my dream house was Ravenclaw. Most of my friends happen to be in Ravenclaw (as well as my sister) and I wanted to join them. I even bought a Ravenclaw hat (although I took it off in seminars and lectures) in Primark. Failing that, I wanted to be a Slytherin. Two of my best friends (Dharini and Ella) are Slytherins and you couldn't find more solid friends. However, through this journey, which has lasted over three years, I am finally proud to be a Hufflepuff. 

Firstly, I reckon it is the most tolerant house. Although Ron once mentioned that there isn't a witch or wizard who didn't go to the dark side who wasn't a Slytherin (although this was before it was publicly known that Peter Pettigrew was working for Voldemort), there have hardly been any dark wizards and witches from Hufflepuff. How's that for inclusiveness?! Hufflepuffs are tolerant and you cannot ask more than that. 

Two of my best KCL friends (Rosie and Holly) are Hufflepuffs and you couldn't find more kind and compassionate friends. Holly recently sent me a HP celebratory graduation card that had 'You're sorted into Hufflepuff' and I'm proud to be in a house with two kind, caring and compassionate people. Moreover, loyalty is a quality I most value in a friend and Hufflepuffs have it in spades! Also it is one of the most hardworking houses and being hardworking is a good quality to have! 

For some reason I never wanted to be a Gryffindor (like one of my best friends Dharini). My friend Marie and cousin Maya are Gryffindors and while they make such fab company I don't think I'd fit into Gryffindor. To be a Gryffindor you have to be brave and I'm not very brave (I scream when I see a spider, for example!). I didn't do very well in the duelling questions that Pottermore asks. 

Finally, there are some great role models within Hufflepuff! Cedric Diggory and Nymphadora Tonks are fab role-models who ooze with personality and coolness. Often Hufflepuff is said to be a bland house but I don't think that's true anymore. To emphasise my new-found dedication to Hufflepuff I recently bought a Hufflepuff bag from Primark (and screamed when I saw it much to the embarrassment of Ronu, Maya and Arun with whom I was shopping). 

Also, I reckon that Audrey Hepburn would have been a Hufflepuff. And I think my two maternal aunts would be Hufflepuffs too and you couldn't find two more loving and reliable aunts. Also, the common room is right next to the kitchens! What more could you want?! 

Comments