Why there is nothing wrong in being a Harry Potter fan as an adult

 

I first encountered Harry Potter as a nine year old, admittedly several years later than my peers at the time. Having suffered a broken leg (due to a yoghurt pot inconveniently being on a stair) I was at a physio session when my forty something physiotherapist asked me if I had read the books. At the time, I was slightly up myself, and was obstinate in not following the crowd (for similar reasons I also rejected Pokemon and yo-yos). My physiotherapist was determined I should give the books a go. So, with nowhere to run, I read the first chapter, with my Mum sitting next to me, while the physiotherapist worked on my leg. Due to my reluctance to return the book after the session was over, I took the book home with me. It is now in my Music Room (a room namely because my keyboard, violin and saxophone resided there) where it is has been read hundreds of times since. I was excited to turn 9 and 3/4s and watching the first film remains my second favourite memory to date (the first being my A level results). I wasn’t allowed to go to any midnight book purchasing events but my Dad would wake up at 6am and get me the latest copy on Harry Potter book and all have thoroughly been read and re-read. I even phoned the casting director in May 2003 to ask for a part in the film and unsuccessfully applied to be an extra.

Although the audience targeted were children aged eight and over there is nothing wrong being in your twenties and still being a Harry Potter fan. Perhaps as a result of my dyspraxia I always found it difficult to find common ground with people who were different to me. Finding a common obsession with Harry Potter helped a growth in confidence and shared memories. Moreover, the themes of the books have never been so important in a fragile world today. The books emphasise that love is the most important form of magic, strong enough to overcome a deadly curse (as seen in the ‘Avada Kevadra’ spell directed at Harry on 31st October 1981). The importance of friendship, good quality friendship, where friends are loyal and true to each other, is also an important theme. The books also warn of the dangers of intolerance and how good ultimately triumphs evil. And, living in a post-Trump world, there is nothing more important than that.

Comments